Sunday, March 1, 2009

Coffee over Crisis




It was indeed an eye opener for me.I just got back from my trip to Singapore to attend to a business deal (for those asking, yes, fortunately it was successful).
I was lucky enough to stumble upon a group of young enthusiastic Filipinos in search for their dream jobs. Most of them came from various call centers in the Philippines. Some, from industries i never even heard of.
Despite their different personalities (i just love diversity) , all of them shared one trait in common though: they were all resilient. Even though they encountered many rejections in the process of applying for various jobs not even 
related to their fields, they still managed to bounce back and smile at everything that has happened. 
I, being by myself in this particular trip, decided to tag along with them in their job-hunting sprees. Under the excruciating heat of the sun and the discriminating eyes of prospective employers, we travelled from one district to another, via train, bus or if our funds were already short, just by walking. I thought i would gain weight when i travelled to 
Singapore as i dearly loved their Chicken rice and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. However, my wanting to fit in and make them feel that they are not alone in the struggle overwhelmed my cravings.
But it was all worth it. I gained new friends. Friends who introduced me to 
a different lifestyle i have yet to experience while based here in the Philippines. They opened my eyes to the fact that i need not have my usual  Starbucks Venti Iced White Chocolate mocha to make my day complete (ok, i did have one with their blessings, at SGD7 
for one serving, which i tried to consume as slowly as possible to prolong the orgasmic moment). They made me realize how lucky i was to be able to win the hearts of my business prospects, with them asking me to join them in the future to the point of sending all the requirements for my E-pass (quite a rarity for foreigners, as Singapore is in a state of recession as well). They made me realize how important it was to have friends amid crisis...people who would push you up when you feel that the entire world crushed underneath your feet.
I sincerely wish all of them well. As for me, if given a chance to once again, visit them and help them out in their struggles, i would. And i promise to treat all of them to a cup of good old Killiney coffee (affordable at SGD1.20)...to assure them that everything will be all right. And to perk them up on their way to yet another unforgettable journey in search of
 their dream job in the most modern city of Asia where the Merlion reigns supreme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment